There are nowadays more then four shops in Kayes. Due to the fact that many monasteries had fallen into debt in the 18th century Patriarch Gabriel 4 published an new law (Typikon) in 1783 reorganizing the central administration. Because the number of shops in Karyes had become unacceptable, giving the place a wordly and commercial air, their number was to be restricted to four. (Speake, page 144)Shops in mainstreet. Sidney Loch wrote in 1957: The main street was a lane of saddlers, monastic tailors and shoemakers, general stores and souvenir shops.A supermarket in mainstreet.The Bakery
Shop with Italian coffee.