Tag Archives: 1853

1925 – 3 monasteries by Edward Lear

On the 5th of July 2017 Christies will auction 3 drawings by Edward Lear. We have made already a lot of Lear posts on this blog but here are three unpublished images. A very nice impression of the monastery of … Continue reading

Posted in 06 Koutloumousiou, 14 Paulou, 20 Konstamonitou, art | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

1918 – The arsanas of Lavra: Mandraki

This is how the harbour (arsanas) of Lavra looked in 1853. The oldest photograph that exists of this location. On our 2017 trip we found the old footpath from the monastery to the arsanas.  A very nice walk , much … Continue reading

Posted in arsanas, trip 2017 | Tagged , | Leave a comment

1914 – The courtyard of Megisti Lavra now and 164 years ago

In 1853 a photographer climbed the wooden stairs of the monastery of Lavra with his heavy equipment to place his camera in front of this window overlooking the courtyard. The photographer made this picture. The whole length of the eastside … Continue reading

Posted in 01 Lavra | Tagged , | 2 Comments

1869 – 19th century threshing floors

The collection of the first photos (1853) of Mount Athos by Caranza and Labbé recently auctioned by Sotheby’s is full of interesting images. This is a threshing floor outside Xenofontos. A threshing floor is a specially flattened outdoor surface, usually … Continue reading

Posted in 16 Xenofontos, food | Tagged , | Leave a comment

1868 – The evolution of Simonos Petras

When was the right wing added? 1744 drawing by Barsky. 1853 one of the first photographs by Ernest de Caranza and Emile Charles Labbé. 1867 1872 by Russian monks of the Panteleimonos monastery. 1883 by Athelstan Riley 1906 postcard Early … Continue reading

Posted in 13 Simonos Petras | Tagged | 1 Comment

1867 – The courtyard of Gregoriou

The courtyard of Gregoriou in 1853. Maybe the oldest or one of the oldest photographs of this monastery. The roofs of the exo-narthex in the middle and the refectory on the right are covered with slate. In 2011 the roof … Continue reading

Posted in 17 Grigoriou | Tagged , , | 2 Comments

1866 – The origin of the Sografou guesthouse

It took me some time to find out where on The Holy Mountain this building and chapel is located. The photo is from 1853.  Approximately 30 years later the building is replaced by a similar house which you still can … Continue reading

Posted in 09 Sografou | Tagged , | 2 Comments