This is the monastery of Paulou situated at the foot of Mt. Athos. The tower near the beach is a defense tower probably from the Byzantine period. This photograph was taken a few years ago. The situation has changed since 2014 as we noticed when we walked there in december.
The tower is to be renovated, all the vegetation around the tower is removed, the riverbed is widened and they are building terraces for agricultural purposes, maybe for growing grapes.
Are they renovating or rebuilding the tower? What used to be a small stream is now a large riverbed.
View from the path to Nea Skiti and Skiti Anna. Below first the dirt road to Paulou, then the dry riverbed and on the right from the tower, the new terraces.
View from Paulou towards the tower.
This is the oldest image of the tower I could find. This print is dated 1916.
Finally, here you see the tower taken from the top of Mount Athos in 2013.
- 2203 – After the Corona lock-down: Athos reopens partially from May 11th 2021
- 2202 – Grigoriou: photo overview, a tour from the arsanas to the Katholicon
- 2201 – Yearning for ancient paths, the monopatia of Mt. Athos
- 2200 – Tourism to the Holy Mountain?
- 2199 – Ali Sami Bey, Ottoman photographer
- 2198 – Vaccinations have started on Mount Athos (20-3-2021)
- 2197 – Grigoriou: the graveyard and ossuary
- 2196 – the phiale of Grigoriou and its extraordinary paintings
anestaki27 on 2203 – After the Corona… demos on 1399 – Books: Mönchsland… atonski mrav on 1085 – Athos coasts:… Sean Surlow on 2202 – Grigoriou: photo… Robert on 2201 – Yearning for anci… Gerard Koolschijn on 2201 – Yearning for anci… Demosthenes Koukouna… on 2031 – Athos and the Sec… Bertinos on 2196 – the phiale of Gri… Bertinos on 2196 – the phiale of Gri… Bertinos on 2196 – the phiale of Gri…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- Monks by Fernan Cuville 1918 #Aфон #autochrome athosweblog.com/2007/07/26/153… 2 days ago
- Athos reopens partially from May 11th 2021 athosweblog.com/2021/05/10/220… 3 days ago
- Vatopedi by Fernand Cuville 1918 athosweblog.com/2008/03/29/415… 1 week ago
- Athos monks by French photographer Fernand Cuville in WW I: 1918 #autochromes athosweblog.com/2011/02/03/118… 1 week ago
- Marble chair in Vatopedi athosweblog.com/2009/11/06/912… 2 weeks ago