This is the monastery of Paulou situated at the foot of Mt. Athos. The tower near the beach is a defense tower probably from the Byzantine period. This photograph was taken a few years ago. The situation has changed since 2014 as we noticed when we walked there in december.
The tower is to be renovated, all the vegetation around the tower is removed, the riverbed is widened and they are building terraces for agricultural purposes, maybe for growing grapes.
Are they renovating or rebuilding the tower? What used to be a small stream is now a large riverbed.
View from the path to Nea Skiti and Skiti Anna. Below first the dirt road to Paulou, then the dry riverbed and on the right from the tower, the new terraces.
View from Paulou towards the tower.
This is the oldest image of the tower I could find. This print is dated 1916.
Finally, here you see the tower taken from the top of Mount Athos in 2013.
- 2073 -The courtyard of Pantocratoros
- 2072 – Looking back to Stavronikita
- 2071 – When nature takes over….
- 2070 – On our way to Stavronikita
- 2069 – radio amateur monk Apollo passed away May 5th 2019, 64 years old
- 2068 – two old Athos maps and two (old) books
- 2067 – The garden pulley of Simonos Petras
- 2066 – Crossing the Profitou Eliou stream
Sean Surlow on 2073 -The courtyard of Pa… Vasílis on 2072 – Looking back to… gerard koolschijn on 2072 – Looking back to… dragosstefany on 1218 – Athos and the Sec… Sean Surlow on 2058 – The glory of Agio… Sean Surlow on 2070 – On our way to… Sean on 2071 – When nature takes… gerard koolschijn on 2070 – On our way to… Japetus on 2069 – radio amateur mon… Ruud Verkerk on 2068 – two old Athos map…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- 20 monasteries in 7 days
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- The courtyard of Pantocratoros athosweblog.com/2019/09/13/207… #mountathos 1 week ago
- Looking back to Stavronikita athosweblog.com/2019/09/12/207… 1 week ago
- When nature takes over.... the ruined kellion of st. John Chrysostomos athosweblog.com/2019/09/05/207… 2 weeks ago
- Athos and the Second World War athosweblog.com/2011/04/27/121… 2 weeks ago
- On our way to Stavronikita in mist and rain athosweblog.com/2019/09/03/207… 2 weeks ago