This is the monastery of Paulou situated at the foot of Mt. Athos. The tower near the beach is a defense tower probably from the Byzantine period. This photograph was taken a few years ago. The situation has changed since 2014 as we noticed when we walked there in december.
The tower is to be renovated, all the vegetation around the tower is removed, the riverbed is widened and they are building terraces for agricultural purposes, maybe for growing grapes.
Are they renovating or rebuilding the tower? What used to be a small stream is now a large riverbed.
View from the path to Nea Skiti and Skiti Anna. Below first the dirt road to Paulou, then the dry riverbed and on the right from the tower, the new terraces.
View from Paulou towards the tower.
This is the oldest image of the tower I could find. This print is dated 1916.
Finally, here you see the tower taken from the top of Mount Athos in 2013.
- 2037 – more pictures from 1923 made by Whittemore and Pratt
- 2036 – Happy New Year: a film of Karyes on the 4th of January 2019 – snow!
- 2035 – The number of Russians visiting Mount Athos has fallen
- 2034 – Athos: a history lesson
- 2033 – Athos in two French documentaries
- 2032 – Women venerating icons on the tourist boat
- 2031 – Athos and the Second World War – part 2
- 2030 – new and old Athos books
Ruud Verkerk on 2037 – more pictures fro… athosweblog on 2037 – more pictures fro… Ruud Verkerk on 2037 – more pictures fro… gerard koolschijn on 2036 – Happy New Year: a… F. John Herbert on 2036 – Happy New Year: a… athosweblog on 2036 – Happy New Year: a… F. John Herbert on 2036 – Happy New Year: a… Donald Fausett on 2035 – The number of Rus… G.H. on 2031 – Athos and the Sec… Gunther Breig on 2030 – new and old Athos…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- 20 monasteries in 7 days
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- 2037 - Mount Athos in 1923 photo's made by Whittemore and Pratt athosweblog.com/2019/01/19/203… 2 days ago
- The number of Russians visiting Mount Athos has fallen but communion in Panteleimonos is now possible again athosweblog.com/2019/01/04/203… 2 weeks ago
- Russian Orthodox church believers may take communion on Mount Athos but only in Panteleimonos not in the other mona… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- Athos: a history lesson athosweblog.com/2018/12/22/203… 1 month ago
- Athos in a French documentary or how to enter and leave Athos crossing the border by land! athosweblog.com/2018/12/15/203… 1 month ago