This is the monastery of Paulou situated at the foot of Mt. Athos. The tower near the beach is a defense tower probably from the Byzantine period. This photograph was taken a few years ago. The situation has changed since 2014 as we noticed when we walked there in december.
The tower is to be renovated, all the vegetation around the tower is removed, the riverbed is widened and they are building terraces for agricultural purposes, maybe for growing grapes.
Are they renovating or rebuilding the tower? What used to be a small stream is now a large riverbed.
View from the path to Nea Skiti and Skiti Anna. Below first the dirt road to Paulou, then the dry riverbed and on the right from the tower, the new terraces.
View from Paulou towards the tower.
This is the oldest image of the tower I could find. This print is dated 1916.
Finally, here you see the tower taken from the top of Mount Athos in 2013.
- 2024 – Russian Orthodox Church: Mount Athos closed to Russian pilgrims?
- 2023 – A walk along the border
- 2022 – Jan Paul ten Bruggencate dies at age of 87
- 2021 – Simonospetras in moonlight
- 2020 – a sneak preview of the 2018 pilgrimage and news from Athos
- 2019 – Helicopter crash in 2004
- 2018 – the German flak position on Athos in WW II?
- 2017 – Some impressions from the tourist boat today
Joseph Skinner on 2024 – Russian Orthodox… Vasílis on 2024 – Russian Orthodox… Vasílis on 2024 – Russian Orthodox… Sean on 2024 – Russian Orthodox… Joseph Skinner on 2024 – Russian Orthodox… gerard koolschijn on 2023 – A walk along the… Thomas on 2022 – Jan Paul ten Brug… Thomas on 1884 – monasteries: the… athosweblog on 2022 – Jan Paul ten Brug… Bertinos on 2022 – Jan Paul ten Brug…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- 20 monasteries in 7 days
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- 2023 - A walk along the Mt. Athos border from coast to coast. athosweblog.com/2018/10/06/202… 1 week ago
- Mount Athos from Sarti, Sithonia https://t.co/9XGndZUP3V 1 week ago
- Dutch pilgrim Jan Paul ten Bruggencate dies at age of 87 athosweblog.com/2018/09/28/202… 2 weeks ago
- Simonospetras in moonlight athosweblog.com/2018/09/25/202… 3 weeks ago
- Simonas Petras by night, yesterday (photo Jitze B. ) https://t.co/1ihYmkpDTt 3 weeks ago