This is the monastery of Paulou situated at the foot of Mt. Athos. The tower near the beach is a defense tower probably from the Byzantine period. This photograph was taken a few years ago. The situation has changed since 2014 as we noticed when we walked there in december.
The tower is to be renovated, all the vegetation around the tower is removed, the riverbed is widened and they are building terraces for agricultural purposes, maybe for growing grapes.
Are they renovating or rebuilding the tower? What used to be a small stream is now a large riverbed.
View from the path to Nea Skiti and Skiti Anna. Below first the dirt road to Paulou, then the dry riverbed and on the right from the tower, the new terraces.
View from Paulou towards the tower.
This is the oldest image of the tower I could find. This print is dated 1916.
Finally, here you see the tower taken from the top of Mount Athos in 2013.
- 2160 – the coronavirus is once again troubling Athos
- 2159 – The fast-walking monk from Vatopedi
- 2158 – news about the struggle between the two parties of Esfigmenou monastery
- 2157 – The making of an iPad drawing of Dochiariou. The art of Tim Vyner.
- 2156 – Grigoriou monastery and its trapeza
- 2155 – two Athos icons from 1977, painted by monk Antonios
- 2154 – Athos art from Greek painter Baloukos
- 2153 – Plants, Rocks and Stones
Christos Baloukos on 2154 – Athos art from Gr… athosweblog on 2159 – The fast-walking… Dimitris on 2159 – The fast-walking… gerard koolschijn on 2159 – The fast-walking… Ruud Verkerk on 2158 – news about the st… Vasílis on 2155 – two Athos icons f… Dubuisson Jean-Paul on 2149 – random photos in chrono… Danilo on 1934 – Div Rajkovic, pho… athosweblog on 2147 – random photos and… Vasílis on 2147 – random photos and…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- the coronavirus is once again troubling Athos athosweblog.com/2020/08/07/216… 2 days ago
- different cards and maps #mountathos athosweblog.com/2013/07/25/143… 4 days ago
- Queen Olga and King George I of Greece intend to visit Athos in 1913 athosweblog.com/2012/06/19/130… 5 days ago
- Byzantologist prof dr Franz Dölger wrote Mönchsland Athos in 1942 athosweblog.com/2013/05/23/139… 6 days ago
- The fast-walking monk from Vatopedi athosweblog.com/2020/08/01/215… 1 week ago