This is Zwergers map with the 4 trails we walked during our stay in 2009
The first monastery we saw was Panteleimonos. For me it was the third time that I was in this impressive monastery so I did not enter the church on the second floor but walked around the monastery. Together with my brother we examined the often ruined buildings outside the monasteries walls.
We walked to Karyes and the to Iviron where the monks were harvesting the grapes. This is the backside on the monastery. We continued our walk and slept in Mylopotamos.
The second day we walked back to Iviron and then to the beautiful Stavronikita. Here the tower with the bougainville flowers.
The next stop was Pantokratoros
Finally we arrived at Vatopedi where we got a room and stayed for the night.
The third day our first target was Esfigmenou. We got drinks but could not see the church because the monks were working hard on the sewage system.
In the Serbian monastery of Chilandariou we saw the restaurations still in progress after the fire of 2004. We admired the church and ate our lunch in the kiosk. When we took the path to Zografu I turned around and made this picture of Chilandariou
Then, pretty exhausted as we were, we arrived at the Bulgarian monastery of Zografu where we spend the night.
The fourth and last day we walked from Zografou to Konstamonitou.
This sums up our 4 days in 2009. More later.
Photos and texts by hv
- 2221 – Palaiopyrgos: the tower of the lost monasteries of Xerokastrou and Calligrafou and more drone images by monk Theodosios
- 2220 – todays (8-9) forest fire near Mikra Agia Anna under control and extinguished
- 2219 – a new discovery on Athos: strange towers close to Esfigmenou on drone images by monk Theodosios
- 2218 – Oil-painting by Greek painter Christos Baloukos
- 2217 – drone images in the northern part of Mt Athos, part two: skiti Agiou Vasilíou – by monk Theodosios
- 2216 – drone images in the northern part of Mt Athos, part one: Esfigmenou – by monk Theodosios
- 2215 – Sunrise above Profítis Elías hill
- 2214 – Athos by monk Theodosios: Black and White
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- Ouzo (Tsipouro) invented by Athonite monks athosweblog.com/2009/03/18/742… 14 hours ago
- Birds: Selefkis, the holy bird athosweblog.com/2009/04/27/759… 14 hours ago
- Paleo Monastiro (Old Rossicon) by Barsky 1744 athosweblog.com/2013/05/26/140… 3 days ago
- Russian Paleo Monastiro before the restoration athosweblog.com/2008/02/14/356… 3 days ago
- Signs athosweblog.com/2013/05/30/140… 1 week ago