This is Zwergers map with the 4 trails we walked during our stay in 2009
The first monastery we saw was Panteleimonos. For me it was the third time that I was in this impressive monastery so I did not enter the church on the second floor but walked around the monastery. Together with my brother we examined the often ruined buildings outside the monasteries walls.
We walked to Karyes and the to Iviron where the monks were harvesting the grapes. This is the backside on the monastery. We continued our walk and slept in Mylopotamos.
The second day we walked back to Iviron and then to the beautiful Stavronikita. Here the tower with the bougainville flowers.
The next stop was Pantokratoros
Finally we arrived at Vatopedi where we got a room and stayed for the night.
The third day our first target was Esfigmenou. We got drinks but could not see the church because the monks were working hard on the sewage system.
In the Serbian monastery of Chilandariou we saw the restaurations still in progress after the fire of 2004. We admired the church and ate our lunch in the kiosk. When we took the path to Zografu I turned around and made this picture of Chilandariou
Then, pretty exhausted as we were, we arrived at the Bulgarian monastery of Zografu where we spend the night.
The fourth and last day we walked from Zografou to Konstamonitou.
This sums up our 4 days in 2009. More later.
Photos and texts by hv
- 2239 – 2022/2023: large scale renovation activities on Athos
- 2238 – Athos photo exhibition “Between Heaven and Earth” in Germany by Theodosios
- 2237 – file a complaint against the new large scale commercial company “Avaton water”on the Holy Mountain
- 2236 – Athos monks pray for peace and the cessation of the war in Ukrain
- 2235 – In search of Virginia Somers’ lost letter
- 2234 – Xiropotamou monastery – part 1
- 2233 – the Future of Athos? Avaton water: a company sells the water from a spring of Simonospetras
- 2232 – Fire in the cell Agiou Vasiliou 30-01-2022
Japetus on 2239 – 2022/2023: large… athosweblog on 2237 – file a complaint… Gregor on 2237 – file a complaint… bernd on 2237 – file a complaint… Japetus on 2235 – In search of Virg… Japetus on 2235 – In search of Virg… Vlado on 2235 – In search of Virg… athosweblog on 2228 – spectacular drone… Jemmo on 2228 – spectacular drone… hallgreenland on 1935 – Father Thall…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- The beautiful photographs of Dutch teacher Herman Hissink made in the 70 ties athosweblog.com/2014/12/09/164… 3 days ago
- The first bus on Athos was a Mercedes athosweblog.com/2015/03/29/170… 3 days ago
- 'God exists, naturally' by Herman Hissink, a Dutch teacher who introduced his students to Athos in the 70ties athosweblog.com/2016/03/29/180… 3 days ago
- old and new Athos pictures: compare them athosweblog.com/2013/09/03/144… 6 days ago
- The evolution of Simonos Petras athosweblog.com/2016/12/04/186… 1 week ago