This is Zwergers map with the 4 trails we walked during our stay in 2009
The first monastery we saw was Panteleimonos. For me it was the third time that I was in this impressive monastery so I did not enter the church on the second floor but walked around the monastery. Together with my brother we examined the often ruined buildings outside the monasteries walls.
We walked to Karyes and the to Iviron where the monks were harvesting the grapes. This is the backside on the monastery. We continued our walk and slept in Mylopotamos.
The second day we walked back to Iviron and then to the beautiful Stavronikita. Here the tower with the bougainville flowers.
The next stop was Pantokratoros
Finally we arrived at Vatopedi where we got a room and stayed for the night.
The third day our first target was Esfigmenou. We got drinks but could not see the church because the monks were working hard on the sewage system.
In the Serbian monastery of Chilandariou we saw the restaurations still in progress after the fire of 2004. We admired the church and ate our lunch in the kiosk. When we took the path to Zografu I turned around and made this picture of Chilandariou
Then, pretty exhausted as we were, we arrived at the Bulgarian monastery of Zografu where we spend the night.
The fourth and last day we walked from Zografou to Konstamonitou.
This sums up our 4 days in 2009. More later.
Photos and texts by hv
- 2195 – The Evangelistria
- 2194 – Grigoriou monastery: a closer look and ‘crushing’ the olives
- 2193 – Lockdown Athos extended until February 28 2021
- 2192 – Trees on Mount Athos by Bas Kamps
- 2191 – A strange, deserted building at the harbour of Simonos Petras
- 2190 – Markos Kampanis: new artwork
- 2189 – Flowers; nothing but flowers
- 2188 – the Dutch photographer Cas Oorthuys and Athos in 1957- 5
Bertinos on 2194 – Grigoriou monaste… theodosios on 2191 – A strange, desert… athosweblog on 2191 – A strange, desert… baskamps on 2191 – A strange, desert… theodosios on 2191 – A strange, desert… Jaap Uitdewest on 1979 – Monks and pilgrim… THE LIFE AND TIMES O… on 1309 – Athos in The Geog… athosweblog on 2188 – the Dutch photographer… Roumen Avramov on 2188 – the Dutch photographer… Stephan on 2182 – Sad news: Monk Ep…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- Nice black and white pictures from Kostas Argyris athosweblog.com/2010/05/07/105… 1 day ago
- A trip to Athos in 2007: Lavra athosweblog.com/2008/04/29/462… 2 days ago
- Monks of Dust by Xavier Zimbardo athosweblog.com/2013/04/06/135… 1 week ago
- Mount Athos in the 20th century #WW1 athosweblog.com/2013/07/08/142… 1 week ago
- The Evangelistria at Trypiti athosweblog.com/2021/02/10/219… 2 weeks ago