The header photograph is from 30th September 2022, made by me, Wim Voogd, when I was in Vatopedi monastery together with the footpath team of the Friends of Mount Athos .
Most of our pictures are taken with Iphone SE or with Nikon Coolpix S9900 camera’s.
This weblog started in 2006 as a personal account, in preparation of a pilgrimage to the Holy Mountain with a group of friends. In the past years the weblog expanded to a more general site about Athos, with diversified subjects about Athos nature, history, books, art, food and wine etc. The emphasis lies on a photographical presentation and not, in the first place, on texts about Athos. The weblog should is not a religious website, although religion is a part of our interest.
We have visitors from all over the world, with an average of 150 countries each year. Between 25 and 35.000 people visit our weblog and we have between 190.000 and 100.000 views yearly. The total amount of views is almost 1.250.000.
Feel free to make comments and ask questions (go to: “02 – Email us” in the right column – links).
The last trip to Athos took place in September/October 2019. Because of the pandemic our next pilgrimage is planned for authem 2022.
Wim Voogd, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 13 visits to Mount Athos. Below are the itineries of the routes we walked. In bold: the places where we stayed overnight.
- 1980: Dafni -Karyes – Iviron, boat to Vatopediou, Sografou and Docheiariou
- 1986: Karyes – Filotheou – Karakallou, Timiou Stavrou – Lavra, Skiti Anna, Dionysiou, hotel Karyes, Dionysiou
- 1989: Karyes, Panteleimonos, Dionysiou, Filotheou
- 1997: Xenofontos, Sografou, Chilandariou, Vatopedi, Esfigmenou, Konstamonitou
- 2007: Dafni, Skiti Anni, Kavsokalivia, Lavra, Skiti Profitou Eliou, Pantocratoros, Stavronikita
- 2009: Panteleimonos, Paleomonastiri, Karyes, Iviron, Mylopotamos, Filotheou, Dionysiou, Simonopetra, Stavronikita, Pantocratoros
- 2011: Karyes, Karakallou, Timiou Stavrou, Lavra, Skiti Prodromou, the Top, Skiti Anna, Chromitsa
- 2013: start from Ierissos, Skiti Dimitriou, Bogoroditsa, Vatopediou, Esfigmenou, Ag. Basiliou, Chilandariou, Sografou, Docheiariou, Xenofontos, Panteleimonos
- 2014: Xenofontos, Skiti Profitou Eliou, Karyes, Filotheou, Timiou Stavrou, Skiti Lakkou, Provata, Karakallou, Onoufriou
- 2015: Skiti Andreou, Maroudá, Simonopetra, Nea Skiti (2x), kelli Daniiléon, Koutloumousiou, Iviron, Karakallou, Stavronikita
- 2017: Cessna flight over Athos, Xenofontos, Paleomonastir/Old Rossikon, Maroudá, Kolitsou, Vatopedi, Esfigmenou, Chilandariou, Esfigmenou, Kolitsou, Stavronikita
- 2018: Konstamonitou, Xenofontos, Dafni, Simonopetra (two nights), tour over Athos by car with father T.
- 2019: Karyes – Skiti Prodromou, Kavsokalivia, Panaghia refuge, the Top, Agiou Pavlou, Dionysiou, Grigoriou, boat to Dafni, Xeropotamou
- 2022: Vatopedi – Karyes – as a member of the FoMA footpath team
Herman Voogd, Haarlem, The Netherlands, 10 visits to Mount Athos.
- 1989 Dafni, bus to Karyes, Panteleimonos, Dafni, Simonas Petras, Gregoriou, Dyonisiou, Simonas Petras, Filotheou, Iviron, Karyes, bus to Dafni
- 1997 Docheiariou, Xenofontos, Panteleimonos, Dafni, Simonas Petras, Gregoriou, Dyonisiou, Paulou, Skiti Anna, Lavra, taxi to Koutloumousiou, hotel Karyes, bus to Dafni
- 2007 Dafni, bus to Karyes, taxi to Morfonu, Lavra, Podromou, Ag. Nilos, Kavsokalivia, top, Skiti Anna, Paulou
- 2009 Panteleimonon, Paleomonastiri, Karyes, taxi to Mylopotamos, Iviron, Stavronikita, Pantokratoros, Vatopedi, Esfigmenou, Chilandariou, Sografou, Konstamonitou
- 2011 Arsanas Sografou, Konstamonitou, Dochiariou, Xenofontos, Panteleimonos, Dafni boat to Gregoriou, Dyonisiou, Paulou, Skiti Anna, top, Skiti Anna, Chromitsa
- 2013 Kavsokalivia, Ag. Nilos, Podromou, Lavra, taxi to Provata, Timiou Stavrou, Karakalou, Filotheou, Mylopotamos, Iviron, Koutloumousiou, Skite Andreiou/Karyes bus to Xiropotamou, Panteleimonos
- 2014/15 winter: Gregoriou, Dyonisiou, Paulou, Nea Skiti, boat to arsanas Nelios and back to Dafni/Ouranoupolis
- 2015: Vatopedi (Athonite academy), Sografou, Chilandariou, Esfigmenou, Vatopedi, Pantokrator, Stavronikita, Iviron, bus to Karyes and Dafni, boat to Arsanas Simonaspetras, Simonaspetras, Gregoriou, boat to Kavsokalivia and back to Dafni/Ouranoupolis
- 2017: watertaxi to Thibais via Proto Nero to Esfigmenou, via Chera to Maroudá, via Skiti Andreou and Kutloumousiou to Karyes taxi to Lavra (arsanas), via Skiti Mikra Ag. Anna to Nea Skiti
- 2019: Dafni, bus to Karyes walk to Koutloumisiou,, via Kapsala (Ag. Joh. Theologos) to Stavronikita to Pantocratoros, Sk. Profitis Eliou, Pantocratoros to Vatopedi, by taxi and bus to Dafni by boat to Kavsokalivia via Nelios to Sk. Prodromou, by taxi to Dafni by boat to arsanas Simonas Petras, walk to Simonas Petras
Thanks to Bas Kamps, Haarlem for his contributions to this blog.
Thanks to everyone who joined us over the years.