The header photograph is from 17th September 2023, made by me, Wim Voogd, when we were on the ferry to Dafni and I was about the leave at Sografou arsanas, together with the footpath team of the Friends of Mount Athos .
The recent pictures are taken with Canon EOS 70D (2023), Iphone SE or with Nikon Coolpix S9900 camera’s.
This weblog started in 2006 as a personal account, in preparation of a pilgrimage to the Holy Mountain with a group of friends. In the past years the weblog expanded to a more general site about Athos, with diversified subjects about Athos nature, history, books, art, food and wine etc. The emphasis lies on a photographical presentation and not, in the first place, on texts about Athos. The weblog should is not a religious website, although religion is a part of our interest.
We have visitors from all over the world, with an average of 150 countries each year. Between 25 and 35.000 people visit our weblog and we have between 190.000 and 100.000 views yearly. The total amount of views is almost 1.250.000.
Feel free to make comments and ask questions (go to: “02 – Email us” in the right column – links).
The last trip to Athos took place in September/October 2019. Because of the pandemic our next pilgrimage is planned for authem 2022.
Wim Voogd, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 15 visits to Mount Athos. Below are the itineries of the routes we walked. In bold: the places where we stayed overnight.
- 1980: Dafni -Karyes – Iviron, boat to Vatopediou, Sografou and Docheiariou
- 1986: Karyes – Filotheou – Karakallou, Timiou Stavrou – Lavra, Skiti Anna, Dionysiou, hotel Karyes, Dionysiou
- 1989: Karyes, Panteleimonos, Dionysiou, Filotheou
- 1997: Xenofontos, Sografou, Chilandariou, Vatopedi, Esfigmenou, Konstamonitou
- 2007: Dafni, Skiti Anni, Kavsokalivia, Lavra, Skiti Profitou Eliou, Pantocratoros, Stavronikita
- 2009: Panteleimonos, Paleomonastiri, Karyes, Iviron, Mylopotamos, Filotheou, Dionysiou, Simonopetra, Stavronikita, Pantocratoros
- 2011: Karyes, Karakallou, Timiou Stavrou, Lavra, Skiti Prodromou, the Top, Skiti Anna, Chromitsa
- 2013: start from Ierissos, Skiti Dimitriou, Bogoroditsa, Vatopediou, Esfigmenou, Ag. Basiliou, Chilandariou, Sografou, Docheiariou, Xenofontos, Panteleimonos
- 2014: Xenofontos, Skiti Profitou Eliou, Karyes, Filotheou, Timiou Stavrou, Skiti Lakkou, Provata, Karakallou, Onoufriou
- 2015: Skiti Andreou, Maroudá, Simonopetras, Nea Skiti (2x), kelli Daniiléon, Koutloumousiou, Iviron, Karakallou, Stavronikita
- 2017: Cessna flight over Athos, Xenofontos, Paleomonastir/Old Rossikon, Maroudá, Kolitsou, Vatopedi, Esfigmenou, Chilandariou, Esfigmenou, Kolitsou, Stavronikita
- 2018: Konstamonitou, Xenofontos, Dafni, Simonopetras (two nights), tour over Athos by car with father T.
- 2019: Karyes – Skiti Prodromou, Kavsokalivia, Panaghia refuge, the Top, Agiou Pavlou, Dionysiou, Grigoriou, boat to Dafni, Xeropotamou
- 2022: Vatopedi – Karyes – as a member of the FoMA footpath team
- 2023: Sografou – as a member of the FoMA footpath team, and Karyes, Skiti Kouloumousiou or Panteleimonos, Iviron, Skiti Iviron, Cell of Ounofriou, Filotheou and Simonospetras
Herman Voogd, Haarlem, The Netherlands, 11 visits to Mount Athos.
- 1989 Dafni, bus to Karyes, Panteleimonos, Dafni, Simonaspetras, Gregoriou, Dyonisiou, Simonas Petras, Filotheou, Iviron, Karyes, bus to Dafni
- 1997 Docheiariou, Xenofontos, Panteleimonos, Dafni, Simonaspetras, Gregoriou, Dyonisiou, Paulou, Skiti Anna, Lavra, taxi to Koutloumousiou, hotel Karyes, bus to Dafni
- 2007 Dafni, bus to Karyes, taxi to Morfonu, Lavra, Podromou, Ag. Nilos, Kavsokalivia, top, Skiti Anna, Paulou
- 2009 Panteleimonon, Paleomonastiri, Karyes, taxi to Mylopotamos, Iviron, Stavronikita, Pantokratoros, Vatopedi, Esfigmenou, Chilandariou, Sografou, Konstamonitou
- 2011 Arsanas Sografou, Konstamonitou, Dochiariou, Xenofontos, Panteleimonos, Dafni boat to Gregoriou, Dyonisiou, Paulou, Skiti Anna, top, Skiti Anna, Chromitsa
- 2013 Kavsokalivia, Ag. Nilos, Podromou, Lavra, taxi to Provata, Timiou Stavrou, Karakalou, Filotheou, Mylopotamos, Iviron, Koutloumousiou, Skite Andreiou/Karyes bus to Xiropotamou, Panteleimonos
- 2014/15 winter: Gregoriou, Dyonisiou, Paulou, Nea Skiti, boat to arsanas Nelios and back to Dafni/Ouranoupolis
- 2015: Vatopedi (Athonite academy), Sografou, Chilandariou, Esfigmenou, Vatopedi, Pantokrator, Stavronikita, Iviron, bus to Karyes and Dafni, boat to Arsanas Simonaspetras, Simonaspetras, Gregoriou, boat to Kavsokalivia and back to Dafni/Ouranoupolis
- 2017: watertaxi to Thibais via Proto Nero to Esfigmenou, via Chera to Maroudá, via Skiti Andreou and Kutloumousiou to Karyes taxi to Lavra (arsanas), via Skiti Mikra Ag. Anna to Nea Skiti
- 2019 Kavsokalivia, Nilos, Prodromou, Lavra, taxi to Karyes, Andreou, Stravonikita, Pantocratoros, Profiti Eliou, Vatopedi, by taxi to Karyes, bus to Dafni, boat to arsanas Simonospetras, Simonospetras
- 2023, september: Dionysiou as a member of the FOMA footpath clearing pilgrimage team for one week. Ferry from Ierissos to Morfonou, Skiti Lakkou (Annalipseos tou Kyriou), Ag. Andreas, Timios Stavros, Karakalou, Filotheou, Mylopotamos, Iviron, Stavronikita.
Thanks to Bas Kamps, Haarlem for his contributions to this blog.
Thanks to everyone who joined us over the years.