This summer I went with my wife, son and daughter to the Greek islands of Alonnisos and Skiathos . Skiathos means shadow of Athos but we had sun all the time :). Returning to Thessaloniki we made a detour to visit the monasteries of Meteora. We stayed in the small village of Kastraki where we started our climb to the monasteries at the church.
The village of Kastraki is directly situated under the strangely formed rocks and very soon we saw the first monastery: St. Nicolaos.
We started at Kastraki, passed Nicolaos, walked to Great Meteoron, Varlaam and back to the village.
The path (monopati) was very nice to walk and through the trees we saw St. Nicolaos.
The monastery of Varlaam and the monastery of Great Meteora. It looks not far away but still we had 1 hour to climb.The cobbled monopati led the way to the monasteries. It is also possible to reach all the monasteries by road and many visitors choose to do so. On the path we encountered only two other climbers. It wasn’t that hot and most of the time we walked in the shadow of the trees.
At this point the path splits in two. To the right to Varlaam, to the left to Great Meteora.
Near the path we saw a total of 3 turtles hiding in the leaves.
When we reached Great Meteora all sweaty and tired we had to wait in line with all the other tourists to go in. We had a perfect day but my advise: Leave the car and go walking!
SelfView from Great Meteora to Kastraki village.
- 2254 – FoMa footpath team 2022 – part 1: from Ouranopolis to Dafni and Vatopedi
- 2253 – another You Tube footage by Rafinos of a hike from Agia Anna to Kerasia and to the top of Mount Athos, including the enormous waterspout
- 2252 – a You Tube footage of a hike between Simonos Petras and Grigoriou
- 2251 – Swiss photographer Fred Boissonnas in Vatopedi -1928/30
- 2250 – arsanas Chromitsa and the border buildings
- 2249 – the Dafni building complex of Simonospetras – part 2
- 2248 – the Dafni building complex of Simonospetras – part 1
- 2247 – more information about the documentary “Adam where are you?” and an article in a Dutch magazine
Nelly Replas on 653 – 1973: hippies not… Vasílis on 2253 – another You Tube… Jacob on 2080 – Exploring Va… Yves Milonas on 2251 – Swiss photographe… athosweblog on 2250 – arsanas Chromitsa… Gerard Koolschijn on 2250 – arsanas Chromitsa… Gregor on 783 – Refectory Vat… Gregor on 1772 – Vatopedi boa… athosweblog on 2249 – the Dafni buildin… info10d8f683559 on 2249 – the Dafni buildin…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- Trip 2022
- FoMa footpath team 2022 - part 1: from Ouranopolis to Dafni and Vatopedi #foma #friendsofmountathos athosweblog.com/2022/11/19/225… 1 week ago
- You Tube footage by Rafinos of a hike from Agia Anna to Kerasia and to the top of Mount Athos athosweblog.com/2022/11/08/225… 3 weeks ago
- a You Tube footage of a hike between Simonos petras and Grigoriou athosweblog.com/2022/11/07/225… 3 weeks ago
- Swiss photographer Fred Boissonnas in Vatopedi -1928/30 athosweblog.com/2022/10/24/225… 1 month ago
- arsanas Chomitsa and the border buildings athosweblog.com/2022/10/04/225… 1 month ago