This summer I went with my wife, son and daughter to the Greek islands of Alonnisos and Skiathos . Skiathos means shadow of Athos but we had sun all the time :). Returning to Thessaloniki we made a detour to visit the monasteries of Meteora. We stayed in the small village of Kastraki where we started our climb to the monasteries at the church.
The village of Kastraki is directly situated under the strangely formed rocks and very soon we saw the first monastery: St. Nicolaos.
We started at Kastraki, passed Nicolaos, walked to Great Meteoron, Varlaam and back to the village.
The path (monopati) was very nice to walk and through the trees we saw St. Nicolaos.
The monastery of Varlaam and the monastery of Great Meteora. It looks not far away but still we had 1 hour to climb.The cobbled monopati led the way to the monasteries. It is also possible to reach all the monasteries by road and many visitors choose to do so. On the path we encountered only two other climbers. It wasn’t that hot and most of the time we walked in the shadow of the trees.
At this point the path splits in two. To the right to Varlaam, to the left to Great Meteora.
Near the path we saw a total of 3 turtles hiding in the leaves.
When we reached Great Meteora all sweaty and tired we had to wait in line with all the other tourists to go in. We had a perfect day but my advise: Leave the car and go walking!
SelfView from Great Meteora to Kastraki village.
- 2237/2 – a reminder: file a complaint against the new large scale commercial company “Avaton water”on the Holy Mountain
- 2240 – Xiropotamou monastery and the question of the strange figure in de clock tower (a jaquemart) – part 2
- 2239 – 2022/2023: large scale renovation activities on Athos
- 2238 – Athos photo exhibition “Between Heaven and Earth” in Germany by Theodosios
- 2237 – file a complaint against the new large scale commercial company “Avaton water”on the Holy Mountain
- 2236 – Athos monks pray for peace and the cessation of the war in Ukrain
- 2235 – In search of Virginia Somers’ lost letter
- 2234 – Xiropotamou monastery – part 1
Vasílis on 1743 – the Silouan mill… VolodK on 2237 – file a complaint… Japetus on 2240 – Xiropotamou monas… Tina on 2222 – new Athos documen… athosweblog on 1972 – the hike in Kapsa… T. V. on 1972 – the hike in Kapsa… Japetus on 2239 – 2022/2023: large… athosweblog on 2237 – file a complaint… Gregor on 2237 – file a complaint… bernd on 2237 – file a complaint…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- Ruins at the border and in Karyes athosweblog.com/2013/11/23/147… 2 weeks ago
- Xiropotamou monastery and the question of the strange figure in de clock tower- part 2 athosweblog.com/2022/06/06/224… 2 weeks ago
- The beautiful photographs of Dutch teacher Herman Hissink made in the 70 ties athosweblog.com/2014/12/09/164… 1 month ago
- The first bus on Athos was a Mercedes athosweblog.com/2015/03/29/170… 1 month ago
- 'God exists, naturally' by Herman Hissink, a Dutch teacher who introduced his students to Athos in the 70ties athosweblog.com/2016/03/29/180… 1 month ago