This summer I went with my wife, son and daughter to the Greek islands of Alonnisos and Skiathos . Skiathos means shadow of Athos but we had sun all the time :). Returning to Thessaloniki we made a detour to visit the monasteries of Meteora. We stayed in the small village of Kastraki where we started our climb to the monasteries at the church.
The village of Kastraki is directly situated under the strangely formed rocks and very soon we saw the first monastery: St. Nicolaos.
We started at Kastraki, passed Nicolaos, walked to Great Meteoron, Varlaam and back to the village.
The path (monopati) was very nice to walk and through the trees we saw St. Nicolaos.
The monastery of Varlaam and the monastery of Great Meteora. It looks not far away but still we had 1 hour to climb.The cobbled monopati led the way to the monasteries. It is also possible to reach all the monasteries by road and many visitors choose to do so. On the path we encountered only two other climbers. It wasn’t that hot and most of the time we walked in the shadow of the trees.
At this point the path splits in two. To the right to Varlaam, to the left to Great Meteora.
Near the path we saw a total of 3 turtles hiding in the leaves.
When we reached Great Meteora all sweaty and tired we had to wait in line with all the other tourists to go in. We had a perfect day but my advise: Leave the car and go walking!
SelfView from Great Meteora to Kastraki village.
- 2055 – Xenofontos, photos of the surroundings and the outside of the monastery
- 2054 – the hike between Docheiariou and Xenofontos (with a small detour along the coastline)
- 2053 – Ouranoupolis port live webcam and Lavra photo webcam
- 2052 – Koutloumousiou revisited
- 2051 – May 19th: fire in generator room Panteleimonos, temporarily no pilgrims welcome
- 2050 – John Julius Norwich talks about Mount Athos
- 2049 – a report from two Dutch pilgrims of their Athos visit in May 2019
- 2048 – the news today 5/5: access to Athos (almost) impossible because of strong winds
athosweblog on 2053 – Ouranoupolis port… Ruud Verkerk on 2053 – Ouranoupolis port… Joseph Skinner on 2054 – the hike between… Bella on 1865 – a closer look at… Laurențiu Dumitru on 973 – M. Basil Penningto… athosweblog on 2048 – the news today 5/… Sotiris Malassiotis on 2048 – the news today 5/… athosweblog on 2048 – the news today 5/… Sotiris Malassiotis on 2048 – the news today 5/… Bertinos on 1996 – Kolitsoú: the tow…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- 20 monasteries in 7 days
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- Xenofontos, photos of the surroundings and the outside of the monastery athosweblog.com/2019/06/17/205… 1 hour ago
- the hike between Docheiariou and Xenofontos (with a small detour) athosweblog.com/2019/06/12/205… 4 days ago
- Ouranoupolis port live webcam athosweblog.com/2019/06/10/205… 1 week ago
- The monastery of Koutloumousiou athosweblog.com/2019/06/05/205… 1 week ago
- News: There was a fire in the generator room of Panteleimonos on May 19th. Temporarily no pilgrims are welcome athosweblog.com/2019/05/22/205… 3 weeks ago