This summer I went with my wife, son and daughter to the Greek islands of Alonnisos and Skiathos . Skiathos means shadow of Athos but we had sun all the time :). Returning to Thessaloniki we made a detour to visit the monasteries of Meteora. We stayed in the small village of Kastraki where we started our climb to the monasteries at the church.
The village of Kastraki is directly situated under the strangely formed rocks and very soon we saw the first monastery: St. Nicolaos.
We started at Kastraki, passed Nicolaos, walked to Great Meteoron, Varlaam and back to the village.
The path (monopati) was very nice to walk and through the trees we saw St. Nicolaos.
The monastery of Varlaam and the monastery of Great Meteora. It looks not far away but still we had 1 hour to climb.The cobbled monopati led the way to the monasteries. It is also possible to reach all the monasteries by road and many visitors choose to do so. On the path we encountered only two other climbers. It wasn’t that hot and most of the time we walked in the shadow of the trees.
At this point the path splits in two. To the right to Varlaam, to the left to Great Meteora.
Near the path we saw a total of 3 turtles hiding in the leaves.
When we reached Great Meteora all sweaty and tired we had to wait in line with all the other tourists to go in. We had a perfect day but my advise: Leave the car and go walking!
SelfView from Great Meteora to Kastraki village.
- 2191 – A strange, deserted building at the harbour of Simonos Petras
- 2190 – Markos Kampanis: new artwork
- 2189 – Flowers; nothing but flowers
- 2188 – the Dutch photographer Cas Oorthuys and Athos in 1957- 5
- 2187 – the Dutch photographer Cas Oorthuys and Athos in 1957-4
- 2186 – the Dutch photographer Cas Oorthuys and Athos in 1957-3
- 2185 – the Dutch photographer Cas Oorthuys and Athos in 1957-2
- 2184 – the Dutch photographer Cas Oorthuys and Athos in 1957 -1
theodosios on 2191 – A strange, desert… athosweblog on 2191 – A strange, desert… baskamps on 2191 – A strange, desert… theodosios on 2191 – A strange, desert… Jaap Uitdewest on 1979 – Monks and pilgrim… THE LIFE AND TIMES O… on 1309 – Athos in The Geog… athosweblog on 2188 – the Dutch photographer… Roumen Avramov on 2188 – the Dutch photographer… Stephan on 2182 – Sad news: Monk Ep… artb on 2182 – Sad news: Monk Ep…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- A strange, deserted building at the harbour of Simonos Petras athosweblog.com/2021/01/15/219… 5 days ago
- Athanasius the Athonite, his well athosweblog.com/2013/05/09/138… 6 days ago
- The new building of the Civil Administration of Mt. Athos in Karyes with artworks by Markos Kampanis athosweblog.com/2021/01/10/219… 1 week ago
- Greek artist Markos Kampanis has made new work athosweblog.com/2021/01/10/219… 1 week ago
- Flowers; nothing but flowers, on the path to the arsanas of Simonas Petras athosweblog.com/2021/01/05/218… 2 weeks ago