This summer I went with my wife, son and daughter to the Greek islands of Alonnisos and Skiathos . Skiathos means shadow of Athos but we had sun all the time :). Returning to Thessaloniki we made a detour to visit the monasteries of Meteora. We stayed in the small village of Kastraki where we started our climb to the monasteries at the church.
The village of Kastraki is directly situated under the strangely formed rocks and very soon we saw the first monastery: St. Nicolaos.
We started at Kastraki, passed Nicolaos, walked to Great Meteoron, Varlaam and back to the village.
The path (monopati) was very nice to walk and through the trees we saw St. Nicolaos.
The monastery of Varlaam and the monastery of Great Meteora. It looks not far away but still we had 1 hour to climb.The cobbled monopati led the way to the monasteries. It is also possible to reach all the monasteries by road and many visitors choose to do so. On the path we encountered only two other climbers. It wasn’t that hot and most of the time we walked in the shadow of the trees.
At this point the path splits in two. To the right to Varlaam, to the left to Great Meteora.
Near the path we saw a total of 3 turtles hiding in the leaves.
When we reached Great Meteora all sweaty and tired we had to wait in line with all the other tourists to go in. We had a perfect day but my advise: Leave the car and go walking!
SelfView from Great Meteora to Kastraki village.
- 2007 – The main square in Karyes
- 2006 – Vatopedi, a closer look at the main gate
- 2005 – An African King from the Ivory Coast has been baptised Greek Orthodox
- 2004 – Semantrons in skites
- 2003 – Aural icons of Orthodoxy
- 2002 – two consecutive fires in two days near Chilandariou
- 2001 – The katholikon of Panteleimonos in one century
- 2000 – Rembrandt on Athos
Sean on 1334 – old Athos postcar… forrest on 2006 – Vatopedi, a close… Sean on 2006 – Vatopedi, a close… Konstantinos Prigkip… on 2005 – An African King f… japetusgr on 1835 – reservation by em… 2002 – two con… on 447 – The Chilandariou f… Sean on 1987 – another look at t… Angel Yordanov on 1835 – reservation by em… Sean on 1998 – Pastoral scenes i… Sean on 2001 – The katholikon of…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- 20 monasteries in 7 days
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- The main square in Karyes athosweblog.com/2018/07/08/200… 1 week ago
- the monopati from Prof. Eliou to Pantocratoros athosweblog.com/2007/08/10/160… 1 week ago
- Vatopedi, a closer look at the main gate athosweblog.com/2018/06/30/200… 2 weeks ago
- An African King from the Ivory Coast has been baptised Greek Orthodox athosweblog.com/2018/06/16/200… 1 month ago
- Semantrons in skites athosweblog.com/2018/06/16/200… 1 month ago