This summer I went with my wife, son and daughter to the Greek islands of Alonnisos and Skiathos . Skiathos means shadow of Athos but we had sun all the time :). Returning to Thessaloniki we made a detour to visit the monasteries of Meteora. We stayed in the small village of Kastraki where we started our climb to the monasteries at the church.
The village of Kastraki is directly situated under the strangely formed rocks and very soon we saw the first monastery: St. Nicolaos.
We started at Kastraki, passed Nicolaos, walked to Great Meteoron, Varlaam and back to the village.
The path (monopati) was very nice to walk and through the trees we saw St. Nicolaos.
The monastery of Varlaam and the monastery of Great Meteora. It looks not far away but still we had 1 hour to climb.The cobbled monopati led the way to the monasteries. It is also possible to reach all the monasteries by road and many visitors choose to do so. On the path we encountered only two other climbers. It wasn’t that hot and most of the time we walked in the shadow of the trees.
At this point the path splits in two. To the right to Varlaam, to the left to Great Meteora.
Near the path we saw a total of 3 turtles hiding in the leaves.
When we reached Great Meteora all sweaty and tired we had to wait in line with all the other tourists to go in. We had a perfect day but my advise: Leave the car and go walking!
SelfView from Great Meteora to Kastraki village.
- 2073 -The courtyard of Pantocratoros
- 2072 – Looking back to Stavronikita
- 2071 – When nature takes over….
- 2070 – On our way to Stavronikita
- 2069 – radio amateur monk Apollo passed away May 5th 2019, 64 years old
- 2068 – two old Athos maps and two (old) books
- 2067 – The garden pulley of Simonos Petras
- 2066 – Crossing the Profitou Eliou stream
Sean Surlow on 2073 -The courtyard of Pa… Vasílis on 2072 – Looking back to… gerard koolschijn on 2072 – Looking back to… dragosstefany on 1218 – Athos and the Sec… Sean Surlow on 2058 – The glory of Agio… Sean Surlow on 2070 – On our way to… Sean on 2071 – When nature takes… gerard koolschijn on 2070 – On our way to… Japetus on 2069 – radio amateur mon… Ruud Verkerk on 2068 – two old Athos map…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- 20 monasteries in 7 days
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- The courtyard of Pantocratoros athosweblog.com/2019/09/13/207… #mountathos 1 week ago
- Looking back to Stavronikita athosweblog.com/2019/09/12/207… 1 week ago
- When nature takes over.... the ruined kellion of st. John Chrysostomos athosweblog.com/2019/09/05/207… 2 weeks ago
- Athos and the Second World War athosweblog.com/2011/04/27/121… 2 weeks ago
- On our way to Stavronikita in mist and rain athosweblog.com/2019/09/03/207… 2 weeks ago