This summer I went with my wife, son and daughter to the Greek islands of Alonnisos and Skiathos . Skiathos means shadow of Athos but we had sun all the time :). Returning to Thessaloniki we made a detour to visit the monasteries of Meteora. We stayed in the small village of Kastraki where we started our climb to the monasteries at the church.
The village of Kastraki is directly situated under the strangely formed rocks and very soon we saw the first monastery: St. Nicolaos.
We started at Kastraki, passed Nicolaos, walked to Great Meteoron, Varlaam and back to the village.
The path (monopati) was very nice to walk and through the trees we saw St. Nicolaos.
The monastery of Varlaam and the monastery of Great Meteora. It looks not far away but still we had 1 hour to climb.The cobbled monopati led the way to the monasteries. It is also possible to reach all the monasteries by road and many visitors choose to do so. On the path we encountered only two other climbers. It wasn’t that hot and most of the time we walked in the shadow of the trees.
At this point the path splits in two. To the right to Varlaam, to the left to Great Meteora.
Near the path we saw a total of 3 turtles hiding in the leaves.
When we reached Great Meteora all sweaty and tired we had to wait in line with all the other tourists to go in. We had a perfect day but my advise: Leave the car and go walking!
SelfView from Great Meteora to Kastraki village.
- 1864 – Panteleimonos in 1882
- 1863 – Watching people in Karyes.
- 1862 – The red balcony of Simonos Petras
- 1861 – tonight: Saint Niklas evening in the Netherlands
- 1860 – very detailed high res French army map 1939
- 1859 – quick update of the list of email adresses of the monasteries
- 1858 – Death in the Serail
- 1957 – the ‘new’ Paleo Monastiro part II
Bertinos on 1850 – Andreou: “t… Gerald Brisch on 1954 – Edward Lears wate… hermitsoftheholycros… on 1862 – The red balcony o… Vasílis on 1860 – very detailed hig… Vasílis on 1860 – very detailed hig… japetusgr on 1461 – Arapis: the forgo… japetusgr on 1461 – Arapis: the forgo… sentieromonferrato on 1859 – quick update of t… gerard koolschijn on 1955 – The story of the… japetusgr on 1956 – On the way to Ski…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- 20 monasteries in 7 days
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Panteleimonos in 1882 athosweblog.com/2017/12/10/186… 2 days ago
- Watching people in Karyes: wandering monks, monks that are waiting, novices, cellphone monk and a baker athosweblog.com/2017/12/08/186… 4 days ago
- The red balcony of Simonos Petras athosweblog.com/2017/12/06/186… 6 days ago
- tonight: Saint Niklas evening in the Netherlands athosweblog.com/2017/12/05/186… 1 week ago
- Ruins in Sk. Andreou near Karyes #athosweblog https://t.co/J7x3Is9e1h 1 week ago