This summer I went with my wife, son and daughter to the Greek islands of Alonnisos and Skiathos . Skiathos means shadow of Athos but we had sun all the time :). Returning to Thessaloniki we made a detour to visit the monasteries of Meteora. We stayed in the small village of Kastraki where we started our climb to the monasteries at the church.
The village of Kastraki is directly situated under the strangely formed rocks and very soon we saw the first monastery: St. Nicolaos.
We started at Kastraki, passed Nicolaos, walked to Great Meteoron, Varlaam and back to the village.
The path (monopati) was very nice to walk and through the trees we saw St. Nicolaos.
The monastery of Varlaam and the monastery of Great Meteora. It looks not far away but still we had 1 hour to climb.The cobbled monopati led the way to the monasteries. It is also possible to reach all the monasteries by road and many visitors choose to do so. On the path we encountered only two other climbers. It wasn’t that hot and most of the time we walked in the shadow of the trees.
At this point the path splits in two. To the right to Varlaam, to the left to Great Meteora.
Near the path we saw a total of 3 turtles hiding in the leaves.
When we reached Great Meteora all sweaty and tired we had to wait in line with all the other tourists to go in. We had a perfect day but my advise: Leave the car and go walking!
SelfView from Great Meteora to Kastraki village.
- 2152 – Wood engravings by Schmied and Goulden
- 2151 – Umberto Eco on Athos
- 2150 – Athos reopens its borders for 60 pilgrims and allows hiking again
- 2149 – random photos in chronological order – no 4
- 2148 – random photos and articles in chronological order – no 3
- 2147 – random photos and articles in chronological order – no 2
- 2146 – random photos and articles in chronological order – no 1
- 2145 – The Konstamonitou Byzantine tower
Dubuisson Jean-Paul on 2149 – random photos in chrono… Danilo on 1934 – Div Rajkovic, pho… athosweblog on 2147 – random photos and… Vasílis on 2147 – random photos and… Vasílis on 2147 – random photos and… hermitsoftheholycros… on 2147 – random photos and… Ivan Gaytandzhiev on 2146 – random photos and… Vasílis on 2146 – random photos and… Leonard-Vlad Trifan on 1835 – make a reservatio… Raymond on 1618 – Chilandar: the vi…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- 20 monasteries in 7 days
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- Wood engravings by French artists Schmied and Goulden athosweblog.com/2020/07/10/215… 18 hours ago
- pictures of the French on Mt. Athos in 1918 athosweblog.com/2011/02/04/118… 1 day ago
- The Athos border athosweblog.com/2011/01/04/115… #ouranoupolis 2 days ago
- Umberto Eco on Athos athosweblog.com/2020/07/06/215… #umbertoeco #famouspilgrims 5 days ago
- Athos reopens its borders and allows hiking again athosweblog.com/2020/07/04/215… 6 days ago