This summer I went with my wife, son and daughter to the Greek islands of Alonnisos and Skiathos . Skiathos means shadow of Athos but we had sun all the time :). Returning to Thessaloniki we made a detour to visit the monasteries of Meteora. We stayed in the small village of Kastraki where we started our climb to the monasteries at the church.
The village of Kastraki is directly situated under the strangely formed rocks and very soon we saw the first monastery: St. Nicolaos.
We started at Kastraki, passed Nicolaos, walked to Great Meteoron, Varlaam and back to the village.
The path (monopati) was very nice to walk and through the trees we saw St. Nicolaos.
The monastery of Varlaam and the monastery of Great Meteora. It looks not far away but still we had 1 hour to climb.The cobbled monopati led the way to the monasteries. It is also possible to reach all the monasteries by road and many visitors choose to do so. On the path we encountered only two other climbers. It wasn’t that hot and most of the time we walked in the shadow of the trees.
At this point the path splits in two. To the right to Varlaam, to the left to Great Meteora.
Near the path we saw a total of 3 turtles hiding in the leaves.
When we reached Great Meteora all sweaty and tired we had to wait in line with all the other tourists to go in. We had a perfect day but my advise: Leave the car and go walking!
SelfView from Great Meteora to Kastraki village.
- 2248 – the Dafni building complex of Simonospetras – part 2
- 2247 – the Dafni building complex of Simonospetras – part 1
- 2246 – more information about the documentary “Adam where are you?” and an article in a Dutch magazine
- 2246 – Xiropotamou monastery: the phiale and the exo-narthex – part 3
- 2245 – fire on Athos
- 2244 – review of the film Adam, Where are you ?: a 4 star rating
- 2243 – News: update post 1835- 28-7-2022 : new regulations for making a reservation.
- 2242 – the documentary “Adam where are you?”: premiere in August in the Netherlands
athosweblog on 2248 – the Dafni buildin… info10d8f683559 on 2248 – the Dafni buildin… Ερρίκος on 2248 – the Dafni buildin… Gerard Koolschijn on 2247 – the Dafni buildin… athosweblog on 1835 – make a reservatio… Michalis on 1835 – make a reservatio… Vasílis on 2245 – fire on Atho… Tina on 2246 – Xiropotamou monas… athosweblog on 2245 – fire on Atho… Serge on 2245 – fire on Atho…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- the Dafni building complex of Simonospetras - part 2 athosweblog.com/2022/09/20/224… 1 week ago
- the building complex of Simonospetras at Dafni harbour athosweblog.com/2022/09/12/224… 2 weeks ago
- Xiropotamou monastery: the phiale and the exo-narthex - part 3 athosweblog.com/2022/08/19/224… 2 weeks ago
- fire on Athos athosweblog.com/2022/08/07/224… 1 month ago
- News: update post 1835- 28-7-2022 : new regulations for making a reservation. athosweblog.com/2022/07/20/new… 1 month ago