This summer I went with my wife, son and daughter to the Greek islands of Alonnisos and Skiathos . Skiathos means shadow of Athos but we had sun all the time :). Returning to Thessaloniki we made a detour to visit the monasteries of Meteora. We stayed in the small village of Kastraki where we started our climb to the monasteries at the church.
The village of Kastraki is directly situated under the strangely formed rocks and very soon we saw the first monastery: St. Nicolaos.
We started at Kastraki, passed Nicolaos, walked to Great Meteoron, Varlaam and back to the village.
The path (monopati) was very nice to walk and through the trees we saw St. Nicolaos.
The monastery of Varlaam and the monastery of Great Meteora. It looks not far away but still we had 1 hour to climb.The cobbled monopati led the way to the monasteries. It is also possible to reach all the monasteries by road and many visitors choose to do so. On the path we encountered only two other climbers. It wasn’t that hot and most of the time we walked in the shadow of the trees.
At this point the path splits in two. To the right to Varlaam, to the left to Great Meteora.
Near the path we saw a total of 3 turtles hiding in the leaves.
When we reached Great Meteora all sweaty and tired we had to wait in line with all the other tourists to go in. We had a perfect day but my advise: Leave the car and go walking!
SelfView from Great Meteora to Kastraki village.
- 2033 – Athos in two French documentaries
- 2032 – Women venerating icons on the tourist boat
- 2031 – Athos and the Second World War – part 2
- 2030 – new and old Athos books
- 2029 – two old bridges and the lost coast path between Iviron and Lavra
- 2028 – arsanas Prodromou
- 2027 – Are parts of the Xerxes Canal still visible?
- 2026 – How to preserve and keep the ancient paths of Mount Athos?
athosweblog on 2030 – new and old Athos… Gunther Breig on 2030 – new and old Athos… athosweblog on 2032 – Women venerating… Martijn on 2032 – Women venerating… gerard koolschijn on 2032 – Women venerating… theodosios on 2031 – Athos and the Sec… athosweblog on 1992 – Flora Graeca: Cyc… Gea de Groot on 1992 – Flora Graeca: Cyc… japetusgr on 2029 – two old bridges a… hermitsoftheholycros… on 2029 – two old bridges a…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- 20 monasteries in 7 days
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Athos in a French documentary or how to enter and leave Athos crossing the border by land! athosweblog.com/2018/12/15/203… 14 hours ago
- Women venerating icons on the tourist boat athosweblog.com/2018/12/12/203… 4 days ago
- Athos and the Second World War, the German occupation athosweblog.com/2018/12/09/203… 6 days ago
- new and old Athos books athosweblog.com/2018/12/03/203… 1 week ago
- Two old bridges and the lost coast path between Iviron and Lavra athosweblog.com/2018/12/02/202… 2 weeks ago