This summer I went with my wife, son and daughter to the Greek islands of Alonnisos and Skiathos . Skiathos means shadow of Athos but we had sun all the time :). Returning to Thessaloniki we made a detour to visit the monasteries of Meteora. We stayed in the small village of Kastraki where we started our climb to the monasteries at the church.
The village of Kastraki is directly situated under the strangely formed rocks and very soon we saw the first monastery: St. Nicolaos.
We started at Kastraki, passed Nicolaos, walked to Great Meteoron, Varlaam and back to the village.
The path (monopati) was very nice to walk and through the trees we saw St. Nicolaos.
The monastery of Varlaam and the monastery of Great Meteora. It looks not far away but still we had 1 hour to climb.The cobbled monopati led the way to the monasteries. It is also possible to reach all the monasteries by road and many visitors choose to do so. On the path we encountered only two other climbers. It wasn’t that hot and most of the time we walked in the shadow of the trees.
At this point the path splits in two. To the right to Varlaam, to the left to Great Meteora.
Near the path we saw a total of 3 turtles hiding in the leaves.
When we reached Great Meteora all sweaty and tired we had to wait in line with all the other tourists to go in. We had a perfect day but my advise: Leave the car and go walking!
SelfView from Great Meteora to Kastraki village.
- 2174 – Athos related Portable Icons part 2
- 2173 – Athos related Portable Icons
- 2172 – Arte TV: the story of the theft of the Sografou manuscript by Bulgaria
- 2171 – earthquake on Athos September 27th
- 2170 – Skiing and Snowboarding on Mount Athos
- 2169 – Corona update Athos 24th of September (update 30/9)
- 2168 – Special Offer nr 5: 50% discount on watercolors of Christos Baloukos
- 2167 – Special Offer nr 4: 50% discount on watercolors of Christos Baloukos
Vasílis on 2170 – Skiing and Snowbo… Japetus on 2170 – Skiing and Snowbo… Vasílis on 2169 – Corona update Ath… Vasílis on 2169 – Corona update Ath… Vasílis on 2169 – Corona update Ath… Martijn on 2166 – nice drone footag… athosweblog on 2166 – nice drone footag… wlben on 2166 – nice drone footag… hermitsoftheholycros… on 2166 – nice drone footag… Vasílis on 2165 – The world famous…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- More Athos related Portable Icons (part 2) athosweblog.com/2020/10/21/217… 1 day ago
- Old Roussicon or Paleo Monastiro in 1744 by Barsky athosweblog.com/2013/05/26/140… 6 days ago
- Athos related Portable Icons athosweblog.com/2020/10/12/217… 1 week ago
- Antithonas / the path to Dionysiou athosweblog.com/2009/10/28/909… 2 weeks ago
- again skiing on Mount Athos, now with a nice (longer) FB video account. Spectacular! athosweblog.com/2020/09/23/217… 3 weeks ago