This summer I went with my wife, son and daughter to the Greek islands of Alonnisos and Skiathos . Skiathos means shadow of Athos but we had sun all the time :). Returning to Thessaloniki we made a detour to visit the monasteries of Meteora. We stayed in the small village of Kastraki where we started our climb to the monasteries at the church.
The village of Kastraki is directly situated under the strangely formed rocks and very soon we saw the first monastery: St. Nicolaos.
We started at Kastraki, passed Nicolaos, walked to Great Meteoron, Varlaam and back to the village.
The path (monopati) was very nice to walk and through the trees we saw St. Nicolaos.
The monastery of Varlaam and the monastery of Great Meteora. It looks not far away but still we had 1 hour to climb.The cobbled monopati led the way to the monasteries. It is also possible to reach all the monasteries by road and many visitors choose to do so. On the path we encountered only two other climbers. It wasn’t that hot and most of the time we walked in the shadow of the trees.
At this point the path splits in two. To the right to Varlaam, to the left to Great Meteora.
Near the path we saw a total of 3 turtles hiding in the leaves.
When we reached Great Meteora all sweaty and tired we had to wait in line with all the other tourists to go in. We had a perfect day but my advise: Leave the car and go walking!
SelfView from Great Meteora to Kastraki village.
- 2020 – a sneak preview of the 2018 pilgrimage and news from Athos
- 2019 – Helicopter crash in 2004
- 2018 – the German flak position on Athos in WW II?
- 2017 – Some impressions from the tourist boat today
- 2016 – Chilandariou: a walk around the monastery
- 2015 – A drawing of Simonos Petras
- 2014 – Doors and windows by Theodosios Simonopetritis
- 2013 – A very nice drone film of the top of Mount Athos
athosweblog on 2020 – a sneak preview o… gerard koolschijn on 2020 – a sneak preview o… japetusgr on 1876 – Eight unknown spo… athosweblog on 2019 – Helicopter crash… Bertinos on 2019 – Helicopter crash… Jitze on 2019 – Helicopter crash… Gabriel Radu on 2018 – the German flak p… MartijnR on 2016 – Chilandariou: a w… athosweblog on 1987 – another look at t… Ivan Gaytandzhiev on 1987 – another look at t…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- 20 monasteries in 7 days
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Simonas Petras by night, yesterday (photo Jitze B. ) https://t.co/1ihYmkpDTt 2 days ago
- Tree avalanche in the 1990ties between Lavra and Prodromou, nowadays overgrown and unrecognizable. https://t.co/btPJxwNKno 3 days ago
- Mount Athos this morning, photo by Jitze Bakker at Simonas Petras https://t.co/T9jBjK3MP7 3 days ago
- @saskianoort Haha, wat aardig dat je antwoordt. Heb je de boottocht gedaan? Als je meer zou willen weten over De He… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 days ago
- @saskianoort Ik zag u drie weken geleden in Ouranoupolis, Griekenland. Of vergis ik me enorm? grt Herman 6 days ago