The road goes to Lavra and we start our trip looking back at the settlement of Kavsokalivia. Early in the morning it looks like a place from a fairy tale or fantasy movie (pay attention at the two monks on the veranda!).
This picture is taken near Ag. Nilos:
First I could not understand the meaning of the text on this sign: I.(era) Proskynima, but with the help of Vasilis I now know that it means â€œthe Holy place where pilgrims go toâ€, in other words, going to Ag. Nilou.
From Ag. Nilos a small path goes down to these houses on a cliff near the sea. We are now at the beginning of the Karavostasi, the enormous slope full of debris.
The view of the abyss is breathtaking…….. Agios Nilos – 2007
And then there is the Karavostasi, the place where a large avalanche came down in 1905. When you cross the area, you feel very fragile and small. Just for the fun I pushed a small rock down, but too my dismay the stones where so instable, that they started gliding down again ! I will not try this another time!
Above you youâ€™ll see Dendrogalia: just imagine what will happen when these stones start gliding from that distance ! It is rather difficult to make a good picture and to express your feelings in a picture when you walk at that place. I know one thing for sure, my pictures arenâ€™t good enough to give you a right impression!
On this picture there are some bushes, but they the only ones around on this huge pile of rubble and rocks.
The path is not more than a line of light colored rocks and the most instable parts are strengthened with iron poles.
Not far from the slope of Karavostasi the lower and upper path unite and short after you will see Skiti Prodromou.
And then the turn the Skiti comes:
From Kavsokavilia it has been a walk for 2,5 hours (445 m.):
The old path is covered with loose stones and at some moment you will pass the road to Prodromou. And short after you will see Lavra:
And when you arrive in Lavra you will get the traditional welcome with coffee, loukoumi and raki (for a better picture see 100)
in the guesthouse of Lavra.
- 2237/2 – a reminder: file a complaint against the new large scale commercial company “Avaton water”on the Holy Mountain
- 2240 – Xiropotamou monastery and the question of the strange figure in de clock tower (a jaquemart) – part 2
- 2239 – 2022/2023: large scale renovation activities on Athos
- 2238 – Athos photo exhibition “Between Heaven and Earth” in Germany by Theodosios
- 2237 – file a complaint against the new large scale commercial company “Avaton water”on the Holy Mountain
- 2236 – Athos monks pray for peace and the cessation of the war in Ukrain
- 2235 – In search of Virginia Somers’ lost letter
- 2234 – Xiropotamou monastery – part 1
Vasílis on 1743 – the Silouan mill… VolodK on 2237 – file a complaint… Japetus on 2240 – Xiropotamou monas… Tina on 2222 – new Athos documen… athosweblog on 1972 – the hike in Kapsa… T. V. on 1972 – the hike in Kapsa… Japetus on 2239 – 2022/2023: large… athosweblog on 2237 – file a complaint… Gregor on 2237 – file a complaint… bernd on 2237 – file a complaint…
- 01 Lavra
- 02 Vatopedi
- 03 Iviron
- 04 Chilandariou
- 05 Dionysiou
- 06 Koutloumousiou
- 07 Pantocratoros
- 08 Xiropotamou
- 09 Sografou
- 10 Docheiariou
- 11 Karakallou
- 12 Filotheou
- 13 Simonos Petras
- 14 Paulou
- 15 Stavronikita
- 16 Xenofontos
- 17 Grigoriou
- 18 Esfigmenou
- 19 Panteleimonos
- 20 Konstamonitou
- basic information/reservations
- Nea Skiti
- Paleo Monastiro
- Skiti Andreou
- Skiti Anna
- Skiti Lakkou
- Skiti Profitou Eliou
- Timiou Stavrou
- trip 1989
- trip 2007
- trip 2009: Herman's group
- trip 2009: Wim's group
- trip 2011: Herman's group
- trip 2011: Wim's group
- trip 2013
- trip 2014
- trip 2015
- trip 2017
- Trip 2018
- Trip 2019
- Ruins at the border and in Karyes athosweblog.com/2013/11/23/147… 2 weeks ago
- Xiropotamou monastery and the question of the strange figure in de clock tower- part 2 athosweblog.com/2022/06/06/224… 2 weeks ago
- The beautiful photographs of Dutch teacher Herman Hissink made in the 70 ties athosweblog.com/2014/12/09/164… 1 month ago
- The first bus on Athos was a Mercedes athosweblog.com/2015/03/29/170… 1 month ago
- 'God exists, naturally' by Herman Hissink, a Dutch teacher who introduced his students to Athos in the 70ties athosweblog.com/2016/03/29/180… 1 month ago